It was a great pleasure to hold the annual Gŵyliaith (Bilingualfest) conference in partnership with CollegesWales again this year. We welcomed delegates from all over Wales to celebrate bilingualism in Further Education at the Elephant and Castle Hotel in Newtown on Thursday, 10 March. The programme was extremely varied, with guest speakers and colleagues from colleges and establishments throughout Wales presenting information and sharing good practice, including:
- Andrew White, Director of Stonewall Cymru
- Lyn Williams, Welsh Language Policy Advisor at Natural Resources Wales
- Ffion Gwyn (Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor), Dewi Wyn Roberts (Coleg Llandrillo) and Gareth Wyn Davies (Coleg Caerdydd a’r Fro), current and past students on Sgiliaith’s MA Module in Bilingual Teaching Methodology
- Anna ap Robert and Angharad Edwards, Bilingual Education Co-ordinators at Coleg Ceredigion
- Angharad Lloyd-Williams, Director for Bilingualism and Equality at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
There were two other highlights during the day too. One was launching a Memorandum of Understanding between CollegesWales and Sgiliaith. This will reinforce the co-operation between us and help us to move forward in the promotion of bilingualism in the Further Education sector in Wales. Then, to close the conference, it was a great pleasure to present the prizes of Sgiliaith’s annual competition to this year’s winners. Businesses from many parts of Wales generously donated prizes again this year, and there were very deserving winners from Further Education colleges and Work Based Learning organisations from across the country.
So another successful conference and on such a sunny day in Newtown. It is gratifying to see that Gŵyliaith (Bilingualfest) is going from strength to strength, giving us an opportunity to celebrate bilingualism in Further Education together. We are already looking forward to welcoming you to the celebration again next year!